Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I just want people to be real

whatever that means.
This stupid post-modern education of mine has doomed me to be unable to think in absolutes.
 Reality. pff. There is none. 
So, really, my struggle for authenticity is so futile because I'm trying to be authentic. Which is the opposite of authenticity. But anyway.

My point is, more and more when people are talking to me lately I just want to scratch off all their insecurities and puttings-on and somehow let them know that they can just be with me. What if we all were to just be? Would we end up being anything or would we just... evaporate somehow? I don't know what I'm saying.

But every day when we choose how we're going to be that day... could we at least choose to pretend to be real? Or something like that?
Choose to pretend to act like we're being the idea of "authentic" that we conjure up in our own heads which is merely a self-created reality that probably has very little to do with real reality?
Ugh. Come on, people. Just stop acting like you're too cool. We all matter.

Schelling said, "Most people turn away from what is concealed within themselves just as they turn away from the depths of the great life." 
I'm annoyed because what I want most is to dive right into those great, dark depths, but I'm afraid of being lonely once I get there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssf7P-Sgcrk

Anonymous said...

then dive in, Anna. cause the more you talk about being authentic, the farther you will be from it. :) maybe those people who are too cool are doing the best they can to be real
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy9gmwKl4r4&feature=relmfu

Carry

I want to carry you
and for you to carry me
the way voices are said to carry over water.

Just this morning on the shore,
I could hear two people talking quietly
in a rowboat on the far side of the lake.

They were talking about fishing,
then one changed the subject,
and, I swear, they began talking about you.

Billy Collins


that's all, folks

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin