Monday, April 26, 2010

Oh hey, it's me!

Okay.
So I think it would be really cool to have a study. You know, like fathers always have in British novels.
That way, when unwanted visitors come to call the kids can say,





"Oh, I'm terribly sorry, but mother is rather occupied in her study!"


Alright, I realize that was a poorly disguised way of sneaking around the fact that this little blog has been in something of a state of dilapidation. I get it. But I just don't want to get all whiney again about how I've been so bored and depressed and confused and lonely and, really, ungrateful this semester.
I've been such a baby!

But that's all behind me now. I realized one dreary February mid-morning (at the end of a long string of similarly dreary mid-mornings) as I lay on the floor next to a large plate of spaghetti, mourning my existence, that something really needed to change
And that something was (and is) me.
So, here I am, ready to start anew. I'm home in Spokane Valley, Washington at this familiar old faux granite desk with eight hours of not much to do and a lot of homesickness and heartsickness for people and places (at the moment a little place like Jerusalem comes to mind, followed closely behind by Hawaii. Dancing around them are dearly beloved [still living] who I just can't seem to keep my hands on long enough) swimming around my psyche.
But here's the good news: I'm going to make something of myself. I mean it. These last few months of wallowing in Utah have been quite enough, and I'm ready to be curious, engaging, passionate, adventurous Banana once more. It's nice to remember who you are.
I think it was our dear friend, Emily Dick, who gave the encouraging nudge a couple days ago:

Presentiment is that long shadow on the lawn-
Indicative that suns go down;
The notice to the startled grass-
That darkness is about to pass.

Thank you all for pardoning the Banana, but she is back! And ready for the sunshine. 

p.s. I may or may not have attempted to adapt that Emily Dickenson poem into lyrics for a song I'm trying to write on the guitar. Heh. Umm... oh yeah! Maybe I should learn to play the guitar? One more for the list! I can do it now though because I'm through with sendentarily wallowing and am once more going to cultivate my talents. Right?
yeah.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Provo invites wallowing, I'm confident everyone has done it there once at least (myself included). Ya hoo and congratulations to new beginnings!

Jenalee said...

Yay, you're back.

There are two things I think you should know:

1. I have a quarter of a Costco-sized cheescake in my desk drawer at work right now so that I can surreptitiously take bites when the kiddos are working.

2. Last night I dreamt you were going to school in India, so Dad and I decided to make a last minute trip to come visit you. But I couldn't figure out which clothes to pack to wear in India, so my passport expired while I dallied over my luggage.

Anna Banana said...

1. Where can I find some of this cheesecake? I can put a piece in the filing cabinet drawer where I hide my knitting and reading materials and take them out on the sly when I'm not being harassed by NFL recruit has-beens.
2. Maybe I should go to school in India. I've been everywhere else I think... might as well try it.

Jenalee said...

Nicey nice! Then we could go for walkies.

Carry

I want to carry you
and for you to carry me
the way voices are said to carry over water.

Just this morning on the shore,
I could hear two people talking quietly
in a rowboat on the far side of the lake.

They were talking about fishing,
then one changed the subject,
and, I swear, they began talking about you.

Billy Collins


that's all, folks

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin