Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"That's it Flavia, you sly fox!"

I'm sure I would make a terrible reviewer of books. You've seen what I put on here! It's all ravenous gushing or an inconclusive "meh" with a shrug, and there's nothing in-between for me and there never has been (nor ever will be). I'm a lass given to violent passions and violently passionate books. 
In fact, in a book I just read (The Thirteenth Tale. It's phenomenal. It's majestic. Do yourself a favor and read it on a stormy night), the heroine, Margaret, suffers from a similar book worm that infests her nervous system and takes her ill in a classic case of romanticism. That is, she loses her appetite for food and desire for sleep and is prone to roving the moors during rainstorms and fevers and dramatic fainting spells (so Cathy Earnshaw, huh?). Margaret's doctor prescribes her a heavy dose of Sherlock Holmes, and she gets all better.
Anyway, I'm kind of like Margaret. 
Meh.

Someone I'm not like is miss Flavia De Luce, though I wish I were. This book was so delicious (pun intended)! A solid mystery story peppered with as many British witticisms and catch phrases as you could hope for ("Oh scissors!," "jolly well," etc.), though the author is actually Canadian. But that's okay because I'm Canadian too (sort of). Anyway, Flavia is an eleven-year-old, pig tailed, aspiring mad chemist, and is totally my hero. Brilliant, resourceful, and a right force to be reckoned with on her trusty one-speed steed, Gladys (I really need to get myself a bicycle).
Books, books, books
I may be trapped in this old town at this old desk in this old building that reeks of old pastries and sports medicine, but I really can read as much as I want (as long as I stuff my book under my desk when I hear someone coming). And that is happy indeed.
Remember what dear old Flave said?  "I realized heaven must be a place where the library is open twenty four hours a day, seven days a week.
No, eight days a week." 
 






So eight hours a day, five days a week isn't that far off.
[Yours Truly in a delicious, musty underground (literally) bookstore in West Jerusalem]               Love, clouds, and admitted nerdhood,            
Banana

3 comments:

Jenalee said...

I love that you love these books as much as I do! I need to hurry and read all the ones you gave me last year.

Jenalee said...

Oh yeah, I have to tell you about the dream I had last night. I went in for my ultrasound and they told me there were 7 babies in there. Well, maybe 6 1/2 depending on how you count the set of Siamese twins.

Kels H.M. said...

I *loved* The Thirteenth Tale. I was a twin (kinda like Margaret, but I don't remember not knowing...) & they've always fascinated me. Great book. I think I stayed up til 4 am to finish it.

I shall now stalk your blog. :)

Carry

I want to carry you
and for you to carry me
the way voices are said to carry over water.

Just this morning on the shore,
I could hear two people talking quietly
in a rowboat on the far side of the lake.

They were talking about fishing,
then one changed the subject,
and, I swear, they began talking about you.

Billy Collins


that's all, folks

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin