Wednesday, June 2, 2010

memorialium


Every memorial day since I can remember
I've visited the cemetary with my dad
in memory of my two grandfathers
who served in the Royal Canadian Air force in WW11
and also became dedicated United States citizens.

This year we added a trip to the Western side of this lovely state as a little nuclear family to see what Seattle and its environs had to offer us.

1. A lot of rain. But lovely all the same.
 little Ethan found a berry.
and proceeded to pose exactly like this
for five successive pictures.
:)

2. A pass through Forks, Washington (but we saw no vampires. nor wolves. nor particularly angsty pre-teen "dark romance" fanatics. thank the heavens.)
3. An authentic shop near Pike Street (Seattle) that eased some Middle Eastern homesickness and major falafel cravings.
I was so excited!
4. Rhodedendrons! Everywhere!! This beauty is the state flower of Washington, and we visited a rhodey park that housed bushels of rare and exotic species (brands? versions? breeds?).

5. A breathtaking skyline,
some quality time with my silly parents and brother,
the greenest, freshest, loveliest city I know,
and a much needed holiday.

Ethan told everyone in the elevator that we were going up
the "Empire Space Needle."

love, clouds, and the best chowder you'll ever consume,
banana

3 comments:

alyssa said...

orange tights!
i are berry!
we are in seattuuulllll!!!

Danika Jane said...

lovely photos, anna!

Jenalee said...

Are you wearing red tights?
Did dog get to go up the Empire Space needle? I can't remember dog's name right now?
Did Ethan ever eat the berry, or just hold it there for a long time?

Carry

I want to carry you
and for you to carry me
the way voices are said to carry over water.

Just this morning on the shore,
I could hear two people talking quietly
in a rowboat on the far side of the lake.

They were talking about fishing,
then one changed the subject,
and, I swear, they began talking about you.

Billy Collins


that's all, folks

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin