Friday, June 18, 2010

"you're just like all the old people that come by here"

said the Nook salesman at Barnes and Noble when I tried to explain to him that
  • it wasn't near as comfortable as holding a book
  • and they just rhyme "nook" with "book" to trick you, but it's not actually a book, you know
  • and, besides, whipper snapper, you can't even turn the pages.
    • !?!?
Anyway, my aversion to technology often garners some raised eyebrows. Or maybe it's the whole knitting in public thing (which is totally justified this week because Etsy told me it was "National Knit in Public Week." via THE INTERNET! so there.)
Anyway.
I love books
the feel of their spines in my hands
the tingle of anticipation when turning the title page.
and the look of a book (a real one) stacked high on a deliciously musty book shelf
and handwritten, postage be-stamped letters
and probably telegrams if they still existed.
But obviously I'm using technology to blog this and my phone has a touch screen and I love it.
So there.
Whatever I'm trying to prove.
Though often it frightens me that we all live on and in the internet. And forget to actually talk to each other sometimes.I think I saw a Fairly Odd Parents episode about that once. Spooky.

And I will now conclude by saying (like I did indignantly to the sassafras salesperson),
"I just love old-fashioned things."
to which my father replied,
"Like me?"
[wink]

-Banana

p.s. What's up the "Girl with the Dragon tattooed everything" or whatever? Should I be reading this? wisdom much appreciated. xo.

3 comments:

Sister Lauren Call said...

we will have old fashioned knitting parties in the fall. please and thank you.

alyssa said...

why are you always so perfect for me?

Jenalee said...

I also prefer to have to get up and walk across the room whenever I want to change the channel on that televisionmachineathing. *Sigh* for the good ol' days

Carry

I want to carry you
and for you to carry me
the way voices are said to carry over water.

Just this morning on the shore,
I could hear two people talking quietly
in a rowboat on the far side of the lake.

They were talking about fishing,
then one changed the subject,
and, I swear, they began talking about you.

Billy Collins


that's all, folks

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin