Sunday, June 14, 2009

Getting High

So I was walking through the forest yesterday and as I was passing a particularly lofty evergreen tree (Quite common in the "Evergreen State," dontcha know), I thought, I shall climb that tree now.

...And up I went.
The branches became a sappy, majestic ladder and I noticed my limbs were tree limbs. We entwined and folded into a wild structure of piney scent, dirty pants, and exhileration.


About 45 feet up I called my dad to,"Daddy, come look!" as I had countless times in my jungle gym days.

thanks for the photo (I'll fix my camera soon, I promise!)

I'm down now, but I keep climbing, keep aspiring, and keep looking for new breathtaking vistas. Maybe not always serene cows and lazy fields. Maybe not hazy mountain sunsets and distant thunder. But I promised myself, perched precariously up in my sister tree,
That
I'm going to make something of myself, by
George!
(The monkey, not the King)
A bajillion paint thinner baths won't remove these sappy convictions.

-Banana

3 comments:

Jenalee said...

I think I can fly today

Tingler said...

I'm grounded. Oregon and Washington are both on my favorite states list.

Anna Banana said...

You're a wise old soul, Ting-a-ling

Carry

I want to carry you
and for you to carry me
the way voices are said to carry over water.

Just this morning on the shore,
I could hear two people talking quietly
in a rowboat on the far side of the lake.

They were talking about fishing,
then one changed the subject,
and, I swear, they began talking about you.

Billy Collins


that's all, folks

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin