Friday, August 19, 2011

Sunsets in cars.

And we: spectators, always, everywhere,
facing all this, never the beyond.






It overfills us. We arrange it. It falls apart.
We arrange it again, and fall apart ourselves.






Who has turned us around like this, so that
whatever we do, we find ourselves in the attitude
of someone going away?

Just as that person
on the last hill, which shows him his whole valley
one last time, turns, stops, lingers--,
so we live, forever taking our leave.

-Rilke
from The Eighth Elegy
 
love, late morning poetry, and last weeks of summer,
Banana

p.s. I am now a working woman. Feel free to praise me.

2 comments:

Jenalee said...

I'd love to praise you for getting job. Do you still have no phone? is that why I never ever hear from you?

Brooklynn Johnson said...

this is beautiful, little nan. i am honored to have lent my bun and shoulder and left earring to the artistic photographs.

Carry

I want to carry you
and for you to carry me
the way voices are said to carry over water.

Just this morning on the shore,
I could hear two people talking quietly
in a rowboat on the far side of the lake.

They were talking about fishing,
then one changed the subject,
and, I swear, they began talking about you.

Billy Collins


that's all, folks

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin